STEP ONE Get a domain name.
Get yourself a domain name for your website so people can find it. Make it catchy and relevant.
Dont worry. Just skip to Step 2.
Domain names usually cost around $12/year.
What sort of domain name should I choose?
Thinking of a decent name for your website can be the toughest thing about building your own website.
In short your domain should be…
You want to ensure that it won't be difficult to give your domain name verbally and that it is easy to remember or type. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Try avoiding using hyphens or numbers.
- Short domain names are easy to type and easy to remember.
- Never buy a domain name that is the plural, hyphenated or misspelled version of an already established domain.
- If you absolutely want to use a domain name that goes against these tips, buy 2 domain names and have them both pull up the same website. For example, www.appetizemecatering.com and www.milehighcatering.com pull up the same website.
STEP TWO Buy Web Hosting
In simple terms, web hosting is where your website is housed. It is how everyone is able to see your website on the Internet.
Dont worry. Just skip to Step 3.
You can expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $19 a month.
There are plenty of web hosting companies, but it is important to choose a reliable one. On the official website for WordPress (www.wordpress.org) there are only 3 web hosting companies they recommend and Bluehost is one of them. Since I have used them repeatedly on different websites, I recommend Bluehost as well.
Want to take a peep at Bluehost's plans?
Go ahead and take a look at the hosting plans. Even though you will be installing WordPress, you do not need to purchase the "WordPress hosting". Instead the hosting account that will be sufficient is "Shared hosting" and you would select the "Plus" plan. If you are ready - go ahead and purchase it now. However, you don't have to buy it now because I provide instructions below on how to set everything up.
STEP THREE Purchase a WordPress Theme or Page Builder
This will be the foundation of what your website can look like.
Don't worry. Just skip to Full Instructions.
To understand what a WordPress theme is you first have to understand how WordPress works. Without getting into a bunch of jargon, I am going to attempt to explain this as simple as possible.
- WordPress is free software that is used to build a website. You install this software inside of your web hosting account.
- Then, To create the look of your website, you install a WordPress theme or a WordPress page builder inside of your WordPress software.
Now, I am not going to dig into topics like where to find themes, page builders, etc... Instead I am going to send you directly to a page builder (with an option to use their theme as well) that is reliable with clean code and will allow you to truly create a custom website and that is: Beaver Builder
What makes Beaver Builder so great?
Well, the proof is in the pudding. This website was created with Beaver Builder.
Beaver Builder is a page builder plugin with an optional framework theme. The Page Builder works with any theme and controls the content on your page. The theme controls the header, footer, and styling of the rest of your site.
So in other words, you can use any theme you want and install the Beaver Builder plugin to use along with it. Or, use the Beaver Builder theme & page builder plugin together (which is what I do for full flexibility).
Want to do a test run first? Play with a live demo on their website.
The answer is no. You can purchase any theme or page builder you like and end up with a nice website. The reason why I recommend Beaver Builder is because you want to make sure you get a theme/page builder that has clean code and will not break on you. You also need a theme/page builder that is constantly maintained to keep up with the updates that happen to the WordPress software from time-to-time. The best part is that the creators of Beaver Builder have excellent customer support. This means if you get stuck on something you can submit a support ticket and they will tell you what to do and in some cases - do it for you.
This is the irony in web design. Building a website is more than just getting the necessary items set up. You have to have the knowledge of:
- Colour palettes
- How to choose the perfect images
- How to put together a user friendly layout
- How to pair typefaces
... and much more.
If you are not familiar with the topics above, then you should so some researching first before you start creating the look of your website.
FULL INSTRUCTIONS Pull it all together.
This is where I tell you how to pull steps one, two, and three together. The instructions I give apply to the recommendations I made in the above steps. Adjust the instructions to your needs.
- Click here to go to Namecheap and buy your domain name.
- You can sign up and create an account first, or search for your domain name first. Either way, if you decide to buy a domain name they will prompt you to sign in or to sign up before you checkout.
- After you purchase your domain name, you will need to change the nameservers to a custom DNS and set it to: ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com. Those instructions can be found here: How can I change the nameservers for my domain?
- After you finish steps 1-3, you can log out of Namecheap. Our work here is done.
- Click the "Get Started Now" button.
- Select the "Plus" plan.
- In the box that says "I Have a Domain Name. I want to signup with my existing domain" - enter your domain name and press the "Next" button.
- Fill in your information. When you get to the section titled "Package Information" you will select the price/duration you want to pay for. Tip: the more you are willing to pay in advance, the monthly price drops. When it comes to renewal time, the introductory price you see will not be the same. Instead, you will renew at the regular rate. Also, you will see 2 boxes already selected (Site Backup Pro & SiteLock Security - Find), you do not these so you can uncheck the boxes.
- Once you are inside your hosting account, we are going to install WordPress. IF YOU WANT ME TO INSTALL WORDPRESS FOR YOU, THE PRICE IS ONLY $60. CONTACT ME
- Find the Website section and select Install WordPress.
- Click the Install button.
- Choose the domain name to install it to. In the field next to the domain, leave it blank.
- If necessary, you can edit the email address, username and password for the new WordPress installation. Click "advanced options" and you can change those settings.
- Read through the license and service agreements and check the boxes.
- Select the Install Now button.
- When it is done installing it will show you your login information. Take note of it.
IF YOU WANT ME TO INSTALL BEAVER BUILDER FOR YOU, IT IS ONLY $60 - CONTACT ME
- Go to Beaver Builder and click on the Get Beaver Builder Now button.
- Choose the package you want and check out.
- Install the Beaver Builder plugin using the following instructions.
- Next, If you chose the Pro package then you will want to install the Beaver Builder theme using the following instructions.
- Voila! You are done. You can now start creating your website.
Was this tutorial easy for you to follow?
If you find the process a bit overwhelming, you can always hire to me create a custom website for you, or sign up for a web design package. I also offer assistance with DIY projects.